6/30/16

RXTT's Top Ten Current Hip Hop Tracks

I love music.  I love finding new tunes and groups to listen to.  Here in Houston, Texas, there is a long-running video show called STREET FLAVA, hosted by H-town's own D Solo, which showcases hip hop videos mostly from the Dirty South (Houston, the rest of Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Atlanta).  It airs on Saturdays at 11:00 PM on KTXH, Channel 20.

I have been been watching this show off and on for over 20 years.  I originally watched it on the Houston PBS station but too many old white folks complained after tuning in their beloved PBS and seeing too much bootie poppin' for their sensibilities.  After picking up some sponsors (who have their own hilarious commercials as well) it moved to KTXH and has been "The Soul of the South" ever since.

What is great about Street Flava is that videos from international stars such as Drake or Rihanna will air alongside local independent rappers such as Psyco Sid, Frank Nitty Supreem, or huge up-and-comers like Travis Scott and Future.  Often, their tracks will air on Street Flava before I hear them on the H's hip hop radio stations.  It is a great resource.  I have never met D Solo but if I did I would thank him for the work he puts into the show and for constantly sharing the good tunes.  Between his show, the DJ's in Screwston that play the new bomb tracks, and mixtapes found online, I get to keep an ear on the Third Coast Hip Hop, and bangin' tracks in general.  It is just awesome.

Here are, currently, my ten favorite Hip Hop videos.


O.T. Genasis - "Cut It"

Future - "Stick Talk"

Young Greatness - "Moolah"

Young Thug - "Best Friend"

Travis Scott - "Mamacita"

2 Chainz, ft. Lil Wayne - "Bounce"

TY Dolla $ign - "Blase'"

Bryson Tiller - "Don't"

Kevin Gates - "2 Phones"

Travis Scott - "Antidote"

No comments:

Post a Comment